Meet An Auditor: Zana Ismail
Name & Age: Zana Ismail, 25
Current job and location: Assurance Senior, Ernst & Young, LLP, Raleigh, NC
Number of years with the firm: 2 years
Hometown: Rocky Mount, NC
College/Major: East Carolina University/Accounting
1. Briefly describe your current role at the firm?
I work directly under team executives to design the team’s audit approach and perform audit procedures over complex accounting areas. I mentor and train junior staff members and develop relationships with the company executives we audit on a daily basis.
2. What one personal quality helps you most in your auditing career and why?
Time management helps me most in my auditing career. In public accounting, I serve a variety of clients and work on different teams. To be successful and provide the highest quality of work, you have to manage your time accordingly.
3. What experience as an undergraduate student provided you with the best preparation for your job and why?
Operations Management was the most beneficial course I took as an undergraduate student. In this course, we learned how to use a variety of functions within Microsoft Excel which is essential for me as I work in Excel frequently.
4. What advice, personal or professional, do you have for students considering a career in auditing?
Be sure to network among your peers, professionals in various industries and your professors.
5. What has been the best part of your job and why?
The best part of my job is working with high performing, dedicated individuals every day. The relationships I have built at EY will truly last a lifetime.