Accounting firms know people are their most important asset. That is why the profession works hard to ensure that you are always in the know and make the best of your professional development. Here are some ways public accounting firms can assist you with your professional and career development.
Public accounting firms understand the importance of starting off your career with limited debt and know how expensive college can be. To help, firms may offer:
- New employee benefits to help reduce your student loan debt
- Student-loan consolidation and refinancing programs
A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license is the accounting profession’s highest standard of competence, a symbol of achievement and assurance of quality. To protect the public interest, only qualified individuals, who pass the CPA exam, can be licensed. The exam is developed by the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) with input from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA), who also administers the exam.
Public accounting firms recognize the value of obtaining your CPA license and understand the financial benefits that come along with it. So much so that they may offer:
- Reimbursement for review courses or materials and associated exam registration fees and related expenses for required certifications
- A CPA incentive program that can help you get your license within your first two years of eligibility
- Financial perks for associates who have passed the CPA exam before joining the firm, or who pass all parts of the CPA exam within the first year of employment or the first year of CPA exam eligibility, whichever is later
- Time off to prepare for and take the exam
Once you’ve obtained your CPA license, you have to take classes (referred to as Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits) to maintain your license and stay on top of the latest developments. Many of the firms offer in-house training as well as “off-campus” opportunities to assist their employees in their professional and personal development. This means you stay at the top of your game!
Not all public accounting firms offer all of the benefits outlined. As you interact with a firm, ask about the type of benefits they offer to find out more!